‎Health Authorities Debunk Ebola Rumors, Says Liberia Currently Has No Suspected, Probable, or Confirmed Case”

‎Health Authorities Debunk Ebola Rumors, Says Liberia Currently Has No Suspected, Probable, or Confirmed Case”

By: Staff Writer

‎Monrovia, Liberia — Liberia’s top health institutions issued a joint statement Saturday dismissing social media claims of an Ebola outbreak, confirming the country has no active cases of the virus. 

‎The Ministry of Health, the National Public Health Institute of Liberia (NPHIL), and the John F. Kennedy Medical Center (JFKMC) said in a release dated May 23, 2026, that reports circulating online are false. 

‎“Liberia Currently Has No Suspected, Probable, Or Confirmed Case Of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)”,  the statement said,

‎The three institutions said the clarification was necessary “contrary to misinformation currently circulating on social media.”

‎Call for Calm, Warning Against Panic

‎Health authorities urged the public to “remain calm and refrain from spreading or giving credence to misleading information and unverified reports intended to create unnecessary panic and attract social media attention.” 

‎The release reminded citizens that “the official institutions responsible for reporting and communicating disease outbreaks in Liberia are the Ministry of Health and the National Public Health Institute of Liberia (NPHIL).” 

‎Officials said surveillance and preparedness measures remain active nationwide. 

‎“The Ministry of Health, together with the National Public Health Institute of Liberia (NPHIL) and partners, continue to maintain surveillance and preparedness measures, including monitoring at health facilities and border points, public awareness activities, and coordination with the World Health Organization (WHO), US CDC, Africa CDC and regional health authorities.” 

‎The entities urged the public  to practice regular handwashing, avoid direct contact with bodily fluids of sick individuals, promptly report suspected illnesses, and rely on official updates from the Ministry of Health and NPHIL.

‎Liberia was hit hardest by the 2014-2016 West Africa Ebola epidemic, which killed more than 4,800 people in the country according to MOH Report. Since then, health authorities have maintained an emergency operations center and border screening protocols. 

‎Saturday’s joint release comes just after several online blogs circulated rumors  of the disease being in Liberia.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *